Hunger Action Month
Hunger Action Month, recognized by Feeding America and food banks across the country every September, is a month-long campaign to raise awareness of hunger in our country and promote ways for individuals everywhere to get involved with the effort to fight it.
Food shouldn’t be an impossible choice. But for the 1 in 6 Northeast Ohioans facing hunger, their next meal isn’t simply a choice of what to eat for dinner. Instead, feeding themselves and their families becomes a series of tough choices between buying food and paying for other critical needs and expenses, like utilities, rent, medicine, or even school supplies for their children. Even as much in our lives continues to return to “normal,” many neighbors are still experiencing increased hardship from the ongoing impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic.
We want YOU to join us for Hunger Action Month 2021!
Hunger Action Month is the perfect time to find out, get more involved with the Food Bank’s mission, and renew your commitment to fighting hunger (or make a new one!). Check out our suggestions below for how you can take action and make a real difference to help your neighbors. We’ll also be promoting select opportunities and educational topics throughout the month, so be sure to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram - and don’t forget to subscribe to our email list if you haven’t already!
Roll up your sleeves and sign up to volunteer at the Food Bank! From sorting and repacking donated product, preparing meals in the kitchen, supporting food distributions, and so much more, there are a variety of opportunities for you – as well as your friends and family – to choose from.
First-timer? You can check out our 5-minute virtual volunteer orientation video, or find more information on our safety precautions, project areas, and more on the Volunteer page.
Start a virtual food drive for a fun, interactive way to raise funds to feed our neighbors! Spending $1 on a can of food can secure one small meal, but the Food Bank can stretch each dollar donated to help provide $10 of food, including perishable product such as fresh produce, low-fat dairy, and lean protein.
Become a monthly donor and help fight hunger every month, all year long! Monthly giving is the best way to make an ongoing impact, and in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, help our community get back on its feet with critical meals they can rely on. Start your monthly gift today – any amount makes a difference.
Not ready to take that step right now, or already a monthly donor? Consider making a special one-time donation in honor of Hunger Action Month instead. Every dollar you give helps provide up to $10 worth of groceries.
Can you make the kinds of tough choices our neighbors face every month and stretch your budget enough to make ends meet? Take our Tough Choices Quiz to find out by putting yourself in the shoes of a low-income family.
Other Ways to Get Involved
- Support the Food Bank by supporting one of our community partners. Check out our Cause-Related Marketing page for current campaigns.
- Don’t forget to GO ORANGE for Hunger Action Day – Friday, September 17th! Snap a pic and share your support on social media using the #HAM & #WeFeedCLE hashtags!
- Tell us why fighting hunger is important to you. Take our Supporter Survey!
- Join the Food Bank’s Advocacy Network today. You’ll get alerts when we need you to raise your voice and help us reach out to legislators about the importance of hunger-relief programs.
- Facebook Fundraisers are another great way to put the FUN in fundraising, and bring people together to make a difference for our neighbors struggling with hunger. Start a Facebook Fundraiser to support the Food Bank today!