Prep Time: 2 hours
Active Time: 15 min.
Source: The Cooking Gene by Michael W. Twitty
Collard greens – Arguably a superfood, these dark leafy greens provide many health-boosting nutrients like vitamin A, C and K, calcium, iron and magnesium.
Make it a meal – Twitty recommends serving over rice, which provides complex carbohydrates for energy. Black-eyed peas, or barbecued chicken can complement with protein and more.
|6 Tbsp||olive oil|
|1||large red onion, sliced thinly|
|2||cloves garlic, sliced thinly|
|1||very small hot pepper (or pinch red pepper flakes)|
|1 1/2 cups||vegetable stock|
|2 pounds||collard greens (or half kale)|
|3||bell peppers, seeded and thinly sliced (red, yellow and orange)|
|kosher salt (to taste)|
1. Strip leaves from stalks and slice thinly into strips.
2. Heat oil in large pan; add onion and garlic.
3. Saute until translucent; add hot pepper and 1/3rd stock.
4. Cook for 1 minute; add greens and peppers.
5. Cook for about 5 minutes; add remaining stock.
6. Cook over medium heat; salt to taste.
7. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.